The sweet smell of homemade pastries, a bright rainbow of fresh seasonal produce and the sound of warm, welcoming chatter as you casually stroll by each stand. Your local farmers market is designed to ignite all your senses and keep you coming back for more. And for the regulars who have discovered this best-kept secret, there is nothing like it.
If you’ve never been to a farmers market, you’re not alone. According to a 2013 study, most consumers continue to purchase groceries at big-box retailers. However, if there was ever a time to try something new, it’s now.
Here are the top 10 reasons to visit your local farmers market:
- The opportunity to purchase fresh food is a huge advantage when you think about how far the produce at a large supermarket has traveled. Most produce at a farmers market is picked that morning or one day prior.
- Eating seasonal food is one of the best things you can do for your nutrition and your wallet.
- Supporting local farmers and businesses is vital to community growth.
- Find out more about what goes into your body. It’s important to learn where your food comes from and how it is grown.
- Try new foods. A farmers market is one of the best places to sample unfamiliar items, grown with love.
- Get kids involved! Many markets feature programs to engage them in learning about food and exercise.
- Learn how to cook new foods. Some vendors host demonstrations at their booth to teach you how to prepare new dishes.
- Eat healthy food. Every item featured is fresh, wholesome, unprocessed food that comes from the earth and not from scientists in a factory.
- Free health screenings for the public are available at many farmers markets. Knowing more about your health status can help you better manage any ongoing conditions.
- Have fun!
Beginning next month, The ALMH Market will open as an extension of the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Hospital mission to improve the health of the people and communities they serve. It’s a producer-only market held Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon at the Logan County Fairgrounds in Lincoln. Mark your calendars!Enjoy LiveWell Online Magazine? Stay up-to-date with a free email subscription!