Ringing in the New Year often means responsibly enjoying a few adult beverages. Expecting mothers don’t have to feel left out—it just takes a little creativity to incorporate some healthy, alcohol-free options into your party planning.
“It can be tough this time of year for soon-to-be moms to feel totally included, especially at New Year’s celebrations,” said Shari Hickey, nurse manager for Memorial Medical Center’s Family Maternity Suites. “When you’re planning a non-alcoholic option, just be sure to consider the amount of sugar in the mixers. This is especially important if the pregnant woman has gestational diabetes.”
Here are a few suggestions for creating a festive non-alcoholic beverage:
- Juices are great mixers but are loaded with sugar. Consider using half juice and half sparkling water.
- Speaking of sparkling water, it comes in all flavors. Look for varieties low in calories. Many are even calorie-free.
- Fresh tomato juice with a dash of Worcestershire, hot sauce and lime perfectly mimics a Bloody Mary without the alcohol.
- Break out the blender. Combine fresh fruit, sparkling water and ice and serve in a fancy glass for a frothy, fun faux margarita or daiquiri.
Having a tropical themed party, or just want to feel like you’re at the beach? Try this fruit-packed drink:
- Coconut Cloud (Makes four servings)
- 7 ounces creamed coconut
- 9 ounces water
- 4 ripe bananas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Lemonade to taste
- Stir together creamed coconut and water. Using a blender, puree bananas and lemon juice. Add to the coconut mixture and fill glass ¾ full. Top glass with lemonade and enjoy!