Most of us have been there. You have hours ahead of you on the road and from the backseat all you can hear is, “Are we there yet?” This year, instead of loading the kids up on packaged snacks with enough sugar to keep them bouncing out of their seats, try these wholesome, homemade and cost-friendly snacks presented by Memorial Food and Nutrition. While we can’t promise a peaceful car ride, we can guarantee happy stomachs. As many of us know, that’s half the battle! See what our own taste-testers had to say, too.
Cinnamon Apple Chips
Makes about 4 servings
• 2 Golden Delicious apples, cored and thinly sliced
• 1 ½ tsp white sugar
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
2. Arrange apples slices on a metal baking sheet.
3. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl; sprinkle over apple slices.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until apples are dried and edges curl up, about 45 minutes to one hour. Using a metal spatula, transfer apple chips to a wire rack until cooled and crispy.
Costs about $2.00
17 grams carbs
1 grams sodium
12 grams sugar
Carrot Cheddar Cookies
Makes about 14 cookies
• 1 ½ cups carrots, grated
• ½ cup water
• ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
• 2 eggs
• 4 tbsp whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the carrots and water in a bowl, cover and microwave on high for three minutes.
3. Drain the carrots, and then place them on a clean cloth/absorbent paper towel and squeeze out the liquid. You need to get the carrots quite dry.
4. Place the carrots back in the bowl, and mix with the remaining ingredients.
5. Prepare a baking tray with baking paper, or use a silicon baking sheet.
6. Form star shapes of the mixture onto the sheet using a cookie cutter about ½ cm thick.
7. Bake for 13 minutes or until crispy on the sides.
Costs about $5.00
3 grams carbs
2 grams fat
2 grams protein
42 grams sodium
Strawberry and Nutella Wrap
Makes 2 servings
• 1 whole wheat tortilla
• 3 tbsp chocolate-hazelnut spread
• ½ cup strawberries, chopped
1. Put tortilla on plate and warm in microwave for about ten seconds.
2. Thinly spread chocolate hazelnut to all edges of the tortilla, covering completely. Place chopped strawberries all around tortilla and then roll.
3. Cut into halves.
Costs about $2.00
31 grams carbs
10 grams fat
4 grams protein
152 grams sodium
18 grams sugar